Why You Shouldn't Skip Your Professional Dental Cleaning Appointments
Posted by Family Dental in St Albert on Fri, 10 Mar 2023
Regular professional dental cleanings are essential to maintain excellent oral health, even if you have a thorough at-home oral hygiene regimen. These cleanings can remove plaque buildup, detect dental issues early, and prevent serious oral problems from developing.
You may think that brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing regularly is enough to keep your teeth healthy and clean. Even the most thorough oral hygiene regimen could overlook parts of your mouth's more difficult-to-reach places. Because of this, regular professional dental cleanings are essential to preserving excellent oral health. In this post, we'll talk about the advantages of routine dental cleanings and dispel some myths.
Benefits of Professional Dental Cleanings
Professional dental cleanings have several advantages over brushing and flossing alone. The following are some justifications for not skipping your upcoming cleaning appointment:
- Eliminate tenacious plaque and tartar: Despite your best efforts with brushing and flossing, some parts of your mouth will always be challenging to clean. Plaque and tartar accumulation over time can cause gum disease and tooth decay in certain locations. To get rid of this accumulation and avoid further issues, a dental hygienist might utilize specialized equipment.
- Avoid gum disease: If left untreated, gum disease, a prevalent issue with oral health, can result in tooth loss. By getting rid of the plaque and tartar that can irritate the gums and create inflammation, professional cleanings can help prevent gum disease.
- Whiten your teeth: Professional cleanings can remove surface stains caused by coffee, tea, and other substances, leaving you with a brighter, more confident smile.
Typical Myths Regarding Dental Professional Cleanings
After going over the advantages of getting your teeth professionally cleaned, let's clear up some prevalent myths:
- Professional cleanings erode your teeth's strength: It is untrue. Plaque and tartar are removed during professional cleanings, strengthening your teeth by avoiding decay and gum disease.
- Professional cleanings damage your enamel: This is also false. Professional cleanings use specialized tools that are designed to clean your teeth without damaging the enamel.
- Professional cleanings cause sensitivity: While some people may experience temporary tooth sensitivity after cleaning, this is a rare occurrence. Dental hygienists are trained to minimize discomfort during the cleaning process.
- Professional cleanings cause tooth movement: Tooth movement is not caused by professional cleanings. However, if you have advanced gum disease, you may experience tooth mobility. Regular dental cleanings can help prevent gum disease and the associated tooth movement.
Regular professional dental cleanings are essential to maintaining optimal dental health. By removing stubborn plaque and tartar, preventing gum disease, and whitening your teeth, you can enjoy a bright, healthy smile for years to come. Don't let misconceptions about professional cleaning keep you from scheduling your next appointment.
Dentist St. Albert
We will gladly answer any questions you may have.Ask Questions
Family Dental offers the ability to request your dentist appointments online. Schedule an appointment now!Book Online
New Patient Forms
By filling out the New Patient Forms ahead of time you will save significant time on your visit.New Patient Forms